- Škoda Auto has manufactured its three millionth EA211 engine at its main plant in Mladá Boleslav.
- The first EA211 rolled off the production line in 2012.
- Around 800 workers currently build three- and four-cylinder variants with capacities ranging between 1.0 and 1.6 l.
These are installed both in the company’s own vehicles and other Volkswagen Group brand models. The company manufactured its first engine back in 1899.
Due to comprehensive measures in place to prevent the spread of Coronavirus, Škoda is currently only creating 1,900 units per day at its Mladá Boleslav factory instead of the usual 2,400.
Škoda’s portfolio of EA211 engines
Škoda’s portfolio of three-cylinders comprises the 1.0 MPI delivering 44 kW (60 PS) or 55 kW (75 PS), the 59-kW (80-PS) 1.0 MPI EVO and the 1.0 TSI, which is available with power outputs of 70 kW (95 PS), 81 kW (110 PS) or 85 kW (115 PS).
Four-cylinder variants of the EA211 include the 1.4 TSI offering 94 kW (128 PS) or 110 kW (150 PS) and the 1.6 MPI, which delivers 81 kW (110 PS).
The engines are fitted in 13 models made by various Volkswagen Group brands worldwide: in addition to the ŠKODA FABIA, SCALA, OCTAVIA, KAMIQ, KAROQ and KODIAQ, these include the Volkswagen POLO, VENTO and AMEO as well as the Seat IBIZA, ATECA, TOLEDO and ARONA.
First engine, born in Mladá Boleslav back in 1899
Engine production in Mladá Boleslav dates back 121 years. Just four years after they had begun manufacturing bicycles there in 1895, Václav Laurin and Václav Klement presented their first bicycle to feature an auxiliary engine – a single-cylinder offering 1.25 or 1.75 PS.
In 1905, the company Laurin & Klement developed the Voiturette A, its first automobile featuring a water-cooled 7-PS engine and a cylinder capacity of 1,100 cc.
Milestones for EA211 production in Mladá Boleslav
- 2012: EA211 production begins with the 1.0 MPI;
- 2014: Production of the 1.4 TSI and 1.6 MPI begins 2015: Production milestone reached: 500,000th EA211 built;
- 2016: Production of the 1.0 TSI begins and production milestone reached: Škoda Auto manufactures its 1,000,000th EA211;
- 2018: Production of the 1.0 MPI EVO begins;
- 2019: Škoda Auto manufactures its 2,500,000th EA211;
- 2020: Škoda Auto manufactures its 3,000,000th EA211.