The Missing Alert App, a new mobile app that helps locate missing people faster in Greece, is available for free download.
The app, designed and developed by Cosmote for The Smile of the Child organisation, gives all citizens the chance to contribute in the search to locate fellow citizens in real time, but also protect their loved ones.
Users may download the mobile app -initially at Google Play store- and:
- Receive information in real time about children and adults currently missing, while finding out how the search is going.
- Assist in the efforts of The Smile of the Child by providing information on a case at any time, wherever they are, via chat or phone.
- Carry out a missing person case search based on different criteria (e.g. date of missing case, distance from their location).
- Share missing person cases on their personal social media accounts, therefore, mobilising other volunteers.
- Protect people close to them who belong to vulnerable groups and run a high risk of disappearing (e.g. due to dementia, intellectual disability), by proactively declaring their personal details through the app, so that the missing persons’ alert and search operation are expedited if the need arises.
The app is being exclusively managed by a special team of The Smile of the Child, which channels all user information to the Hellenic Police, as well as other institutional bodies responsible for managing missing people cases in Greece.